Thursday, October 20, 2005

Vanity

I will admit it. I am vain. I take pleasure in my physical appearance now that I've lost weight. I take greater pleasure in other things and it's not all what I'm about so don't email me about how wicked I am.

I had a successful pair of surgical procedures a few weeks ago. One doesn't relate to vanity. But the excisional biopsy does now. Three weeks ago I was worried that the little marble and its pea-sized companion were possibly cancerous. I'm pleased to sy they were not, nor were the other assorted and removed stuff-growing-where-it-should-not. "No evidence of malignancy" is quite possibly the most beautiful phrase in the English language.

A week after the surgery, the steri-strips got to come off Lefty. Either I left them on too long or not enough because they stuck on one spot. OW. And then I looked. I'd been joking about Frankenbooob but didn't expect to see it. And I saw it. It was a very angry red puffy raised ridged scar. With a raw sore spot. Frankenbooob. Damn.

So now it's 3 weeks later. The raw spot is gone, the red and anger and puffy are gone now. Dr B said the ridge should dissipate within 3 months. but the tissue is healing now and I'm getting a hard mass under the hard ridged scar.

Here's where vanity comes in. I like my boobs. I really do like them. Somehow in a week I went from worrying about BrCa to the thickness of this ridge on my scar. It's amazing how perspectives change. But now there is a scar on Lefty, and if I raise my arm, it pulls funny. I've lost some sensation, and I have an ugly scar that feels funny. I'd like to get naked with somebody again, at some point. What then? I don't think it's bad enough to get the Ewww! face and a "thanks I'll call you" but it's still something in the back of my head.

Maybe I just need to get over it. Maybe I should take a picture and send it to boobiethon for 2006.

2 comments:

Sneadwoman said...

Hey, I love my boobs, too. And stop calling our Atlanta husband names! But seriously, my MIL is facing breast surgery and, even at 70, she is going to have reconstructive surgery.

You keep loving the girls and they will love you back!

clickmichelle said...

Who called our Atlanta husband names? Not I! I love our Atlanta husband. And he likes to drive my truck.